Friday, January 15, 2010

The Key(s) to The Kingdom

Partial map of the Internet based on the Janua...Image via Wikipedia

Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I'm talking about. You have been warned.

My acting coach had a theory, well several, actually, but this one is extremely relevant; When watching an improv, pretend you're Chinese, and you don't understand the dialogue. And then ask yourself why your spellcheck doesn't think dialogue is spelled correctly. But I digress. If you don't understand what they're saying, will you still know what's going on in the scene?

Why is this relevant? What does it matter to you? Is this a post about moviemaking, social media, or something else entirely? Should I be ranting or explaining an idea that I've mastered? That's for you to decide. My focus here and elsewhere for the next few weeks has to be The 168 Project. I have other irons in the fire, but this is the most relevant, and currently, related.

I have been both gifted and cursed with a loaner PC while I wait or can afford to get my Mac fixed. Some of you may have already donated money that goes toward this, but again, I digress. I do that a lot, don't I? In any case, the PC in question has no sound. I'll give you a moment while you figure out what that means.

For me, it means I click on less video links that you provide, as I can't hear them. However, when I do inadvertently come across a video to see, and in this case, only see, I better understand the intent of your video. If you're sitting at your desk, and recording something that would be better suited for a radio broadcast, I'm probably moving on pretty quickly. If you've got visuals that you think may be important, you should probably leave them up long enough for me to take in. In the case of text, can I read them completely through, twice? Why twice? Your reading speed may be faster than others. Or, it may be slower. I don't know, however, why take that chance? If I can't understand what's going on, maybe others can't either.

I may continue to conduct this test in other places, as I'll be without my Mac for another two weeks or so. Something about the turnaround time on replacing a drive that's under warranty. If I have anything intelligent to add to this current thread, I shall do so. Either here, or elsewhere. Again, you have been warned.

72 and sunny in Redondo Beach.

Please, retweet. Speaking of which, thanks to my good friend and follower @tommytrc for inspiring this post that I've been thinking about for awhile now.

And another thing, with all due respect to my mentor Ivan, most in China do in fact speak English.....
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment